Wednesday, March 9, 2016

When I finally woke up....

I woke up one day out of the blue like I was born that day itself and I found myself at a railway station with a reserved ticket to Jaffna, Sri Lanka on my hand. I was thinking what the hell was I doing? Jaffna!?! That's like the opposite edge of Sri Lanka from where I was living. I didn't know a damn thing, to start off with not even the language, culture, nothing which I was supposed to know but the fact that war happened there and it's a tough place to be, and the best part is I'm going with no one, Just alone but a ticket. Not even a proper backpack, I didn't know what to pack and what not to take. But I knew one thing for sure. This is it... I'm going... I'm gonna explore the hell out of this world...


It was around 6a.m when I got down from Jaffna railway station. I had a rough plan in my mind with the help of my cousin who worked in Jaffna. I was sleepless whole night dreaming, "yay! I'm finally out on my own". Stars were shining bright while I sat on the foot board of the train listening to my music. The crowded train was almost empty when it reached to Jaffna. I managed to talk to some people with little bit of Tamil I know with the hope of more places to visit.

Train was going lazily giving me the sights and views of my dream of how Jaffna would be. The paddy fields, the palm trees, the brownish-ness I imagined that Jaffna would be...but to describe the feeling when I first saw the railway station sign board "Jaffna", I don't think I've enough words on my vocabulary neither in a dictionary.

I was no Bair Grills, I was no Edmond Hillary neither any sort of adventurer, hiker not at least a traveler in that case. I just got started, what ever this gonna be. I just wanted to get out from where ever I was in my life, mentally so as physically. People thought I was crazy, they told me on my face that I'm crazy, but well I don't deny it. You can't do anything in your life if you aren't crazy. You gotta have that madness in you to achieve something which others wont.

"You gotta do what others don't, to achieve what others don't have"
- (My friend, Gymaholic Ashen) -

Not everybody will understand your journey but the good news is you don't have to keep explaining it to them. When that happened to me, when I was holding that ticket to Jaffna and when I met my friends that evening. They were like "Okay! so who are you going with?", "Have you planned where you gonna visit and stay?" and I was all like "I don't know, I'm just gonna go and see". I don't think I have to explain the look on their faces right ?


- That wonderful moment -

Although at the last minute of the journey I met this awesome yet unique soul to join with me. I'll just post our conversation here so that that you will see why I dedicate this part of the blog to him.

Me -"Machan! I going to Jaffna tomorrow, won't be able to make it to Colombo for few days"

Him - "Ado! Really ?, I will book a ticket too now if not I'll just buy a one tomorrow and join ya, is it ok ? "

Me - "You sure mate? Because I'm planning to walk the whole route no vehicles, I don't even know where to go"

Him - "Ado! u crazy! No problem bro, Lets go"

Me - Great! by all means bro! I couldn't get anyone to come with me, so thought of going alone. it will be good if you can make it."

I love people like this, no prior preparation. no excuses. but literally adventure from the whole heart. He never asked me where are we gonna stay or where we gonna go but he just came. That's traveling as I would define it.


- Start of the day -

- Hitchhiking with Navy officers -

You just need a start after all, and then it keeps you going on and on. Because right now from where I stand, after an almost year since I started, I've been to around like 70% of Sri Lanka and counting.

This blog is also a result of that thought. Making an Initiative, success or a failure. So here we are.... Looking forward to keep you all posted about the places I visit with the details such as the budget, expenses, routes, history, photos and whatever you might need during your visit. Hoping to continue this in both Sinhala and English languages with the ultimate hope of helping anyone who love to travel.

As I've described in "about me", I would help anyone who knows nothing about traveling but just got the heart to do it. I'm still not a very experienced traveler. But I promise you! I will not let you give up your dream. So let my "Sacheewalks" be an inspiration, a resource, to whoever out there who would love to travel with their whole heart.



ගුරු පරිච්චේදය

ගුරුවරුන් අපගේ ජිවිතයේ ලොකු role එකක් කරනා පිරිසක් ලෙස මා තුල පෞද්ගලික මතයක් පවතී. එයට ඔබ එකඟ විය හෝ නොවිය හැකිය. නමුත් මා ජිවිතයේ පසුපස හැර...